Saturday, August 02, 2008

V Sixers Track Day 30th July

I was trying very hard to get myself registered for the trackday event organized by Vsixers through the SGTI club. After a couple of weeks of trying and my itch to have a go at the full track becoming more intense, I decided to just go to SIC and try my luck. The gods of track days must have been shining on me as I managed to get SP in for the event. Also thanks to Jack who was helping me out all the while!
There were about 30 Perdana V6, 8 Satria GTi, 5 Savvy, 15 Neo's and 1 Putra all ready in the pits raring to go. My first session on the full track was a bit boring, I didnt feel right, the car wasnt feeling right too and not too long into the first session I had my first spin in the SP on turn 10 which happens to be one of my favourites since HPC track day. I also attribute this to my own mistake as the day before the event I decided to swap the tires from rear to front and vice versa, which left me with tyres with more tread on the front and lesser treads at the rear. This in turn reduced the grip on the rear which made it more oversteery! I kinda "woke up" after the spin and decided to head to the pits to calm down a little. Checked tire pressure and dropped the front a little and the car felt much better on the next sessions.
The car felt a touch oversteery on turns 5 & 6 which are the high speed left and right and reckon some aerodynamic aid to get more downforce will be beneficial. The brakes performed well and the only trouble I had was a loose dipstick. This made me to loose some oil and dirty the engine bay. Managed to get some duct tape from one of the SGTI members (thanks man!) and did a quick fix to the dipstick.
It was good experience for me and to learn SP's handling limits in a safe environment. I still have a lot to learn in terms of being more smooth and consistent with my lines, braking points and turning points as its my first time being out on the full track. Nevertheless the day did have some incidents like a Satria Neo crashing into a wall and Jack's car stuck at the pit entrance which resulted in red flags being shown. We had to wait for about 10 mins before the track was OK to be used again.
Oh on the way home there was a rattling sound coming from the rear which I thought was due to a broken suspension/arb link but found out that bolts holding the rear boot hinge has managed to work out loose due to all the shenanigans of driving in the track!
Sorry no pictures!

9 comments:

Jack said...

Good Track day!! :)

I still have problems with my ignitor and have swapped in another unit since. Sorry for the 10min red flag.. luckily I was near the pit lane... Reminds me to have a tow hook next time...

Mugil said...

it was indeed!!!

wah ok...best to get it looked at i suppose!

no worries, if got no drama then we can really remember the event well!!!

CF tow hook??

Jack said...

CF tow hook might not be suitable, I'm not sure if it can take the stress. ARC does have a titanium version but most of them are either aluminium alloy or mild steel. Bolt points are important. Front panels and xmembers are no no, the hook should be attached to the main chasis frame.

llsaw said...

Fooyoh.. You guys getting more famous by the day. Keep it up!!!!

eraserwke said...

Hi, just like to ask some advice from you. I recently rebuilt my engine. 4G93P Dohc. Not many mods, just 4g92p pistons, Port Polish head, and bottom-end balancing.

I'm looking into upgrading my header, just want to ask what are your recommendations. PowerZone? HotBits? I dun think R3 produces any more headers cos they've moved on to Campro.

I'm currently using the stock header and 2 inch piping, original route, with 1 bullet and s-flow muffler from JFA.

Jack said...

eraserwke, Yes R3 has discontinued making the 4-1 for the 4G93 but I do not think that the R3 header is suitable for your mods. Uneless you plan to put in cams in the future your low-mid range will suffer.

Depending on your budget you can try the stock 4G92Mivec header, PowerZone, HotBits and even a custom one from Jiang Hang. Cost increases in that order as well.

Of course all the above are 4-2-1 The Jiang Hang ones are full stainless and I have seen them working well on a 4G93 with mods like yours. They run longer primary and shorter secondary collector like a 4-1 but still a 4-2-1. They are not cheap around RM500-600 if I'm not mistaken. Call Ah Wah at 0192741090. Tell him I send you and you'll be ok.

Mugil said...

I have heard pretty good things with the R3 st3 extractor but its not longer manufactured. The other alternative would be the extractor from RACE which is still being tested. More details in http://r3gister.org/

But as jack mentioned, going 4-2-1 should be more beneficial for you especially if the car is used primarily for road use. The low to midrange torque will be much better too.

eraserwke said...

Thanks =) I also pretty much decided that a 4-2-1 is more suited to my needs now. Just wondering if there's any feedback comparing the ones from HotBits, PZ, and the rest such as custom works. I've always wondered where do these custom exhausts get tested for proper flow and such.

Jack said...

Exhuast tuning is quite a black art and custom jobs are either copies of existing designs i.e. cusco, spoon, mugen, J's or designed from actual race experience, trial and error stuff. Not many manufacturers have the resources to say properly flow test a header for lenght, diameter, backpressure, scavenging effects.. yadda yadda...

I'm not from the NA camp so have no experience or have tried any aftermarket NA headers. But I'm sure Andrew and Mugil will be able to comment...